Club History & Records

900JUST A FLASH0-50.8819/03/2021
950EMERGING POWER0-57.6027/12/1993
1000NICCI’S SONG0-56.5819/03/2021
1175PERAK GOLD1-07.7930/03/2000
1400BIANCO VILANO1-21.3625/02/2023
1600TRUST IN DREAMS1-34.6512/10/2002
2000HARMONY ROSE1-58.3825/03/2022
2400WRITTEN ADVICE2-29.2025/03/2022


The Albury Racing Club is proud of its long and colourful history. 

1840 – First race meeting conducted in Albury at ‘Browns Paddock’ which ran roughly from the Hovell Tree to the rotunda in the Botanical Gardens.

1845 – Miss Jean Spalding of Albury has in her possession a silver cup inscribed as the Albury Cup of 1845, which is believed to be the first cup trophy ever given for an Australian horse race.

1855 – Albury Jockey Club administered racing

1865 – Albury Jockey Club disbanded due to financial problems

1865 – His excellency Sir George Young signed a grant of 141 acres for the present racecourse. Albury Turf Club took up the grant and raced thereon.

1881 – Albury Racing Club was formed on the 21st January

1883 – First of an unbroken chain of Albury Cup Meetings conducted by the Albury Racing Club was held and won by ‘Coolabah’ ridden by Miller.

1885 – Early records of racing in Albury were destroyed in a fire that burnt the Mutual Provident building

1886 – Bookmakers were allowed to field on Albury races

1902 – Grandstand was built.

1920 – The totalisator began operating under the charge of one of Alburys best known citizens, the Hon. Cleaver Bunton, A.O, O.B.E.

1946 – Photo Finish camera was introduced at Albury

1972 – Introduction of metric distances and weights.

1973 – Original Grandstand was demolished

1974 – Present Grandstand constructed

1979 – Albury Cup’s longest priced winner, Rough Bay, salutes at 80/1

1980 – Administration Offices and Jockey Rooms constructed

2004 – Trainer Richard Freyer wins a record eighth Albury Gold Cup with Personal Image

2006 – Albury Gold Cup Prizemoney a record $100,000

2007 – Champion Jockey Damien Oliver wins the Albury Gold Cup aboard Hofmeister

2008 – Record crowd of 20,117 attend Albury Gold Cup.   Cup worth $125,000.

2009 – New Sand Training Track constructed

2011 – Albury Gold Cup elevated to Listed Status by Australian Racing Board for 2012.

2014 – Albury Racing Club wins “Country Race Club of the Year” award